Windshield

Stacey

My original windshield is delaminating and is slightly giving a distorted view along the bottom. Stopped at the biggest glass shop here in my town and asked about a replacement. After him calling all his contacts, about 4 different other places, he said, well, looks like that glass is discontinued and no longer made! Anyone have a suggestion for my 1991 convertible glass? He said if I wanted to order 20, they would make them as a special run of windshields. No not interested in buying that many.

That 20 would be more than one for every 1991 Avanti.  Are you sure that it is a special windshield for 1991 and not a windshield for another year/car, possibly even modified, such as cutting down another windshield?  I can not imagine that they had special windshields made for the 1991 model year (of course it was a special one year body).  Perhaps I read something into your post that you did not mean.  

The fellow said it might cross with a Cadillac Allante, but the installer came out and looked and said no way.  Mine is curved too much on the ends? I'm not sure if the 1991 is totally different from any other year conv or not. I said the same thing to him, heck if I order 20 I'd be stuck with probably 19 of them forever!!  That is unless the 4 door models use the same glass, but he was unable to even find that glass  part number. 

Well so far I have about 3 hours of internet hunting and phone calls with a couple of email replies, not a windshield to be found, yet. If I was to have an accident, or some rock smashes into the windshield, would the insurance company total out my car?? If you can't see through a smashed glass, the car is unusable. This is going to be fun trying to find a glass. What are others doing?

2 hours ago, Stacey said:

Well so far I have about 3 hours of internet hunting and phone calls with a couple of email replies, not a windshield to be found, yet. If I was to have an accident, or some rock smashes into the windshield, would the insurance company total out my car?? If you can't see through a smashed glass, the car is unusable. This is going to be fun trying to find a glass. What are others doing?

I would think that the insurance company would order the required 20 windshields at their wholesale cost, rather than totaling your car which should be worth (insurance value) much more.

I think the same way, if I was in real need I would pay for the 20 and fix my car. But I was under the impression that all the convertibles would use the same glass,  and if that is the case, we are ALL in the same boat, no windshields for these cars. At least that I can find so far. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Happen to be in Michigan and stopped into Nostalgic Motors and talked with Dan Booth. He felt the windshield is actually the same, except it is going to be missing the black screen color that is imprinted on the inside edges of my conv glass. He said he had no parts for those convertibles but was certain they will fit. He also said if anything I might have to trim the glass ever so slightly. So when we return to Az I will investigate further. 

3 1/2 years ago I bought a 89 convertible that had a rock chip in the driver's line of vision.  The seller also had a new windshield he included with the sale so with the chip finally starting to spider crack I'm having it replaced next week.  Hopefully it will fit!  I did see Dan Booth at the South Bend Swap Meet and ordered the "installation kit" which consists of a new gasket, black silicone tubes and also the bedding compound.  One glass shop wouldn't touch it as the car had been repainted without taking the windshield out and they were afraid the paint around the could area would chip out.  I'm going back to the shop in Warrenville IL that did a killer paint job on my 76 coupe in 2015 to have them remove the windshield, correctly finish and paint around the windshield frame and cowl area and install the new windshield.