1964 Studebaker Avanti Front Rake

murph the surf

Perhaps it is my imagination,but it seems that more than a few '64 Avanti's I have seen seem to have less of a front end "rake" than the pronounced rake of that of the '63's.I do realize that the front ends of '64 R-3's were raised for air box clearance, but I have seen what appears to be a very similar stance on some '64 R-1 and R-2 models.The explanation for R-2 model stance could be the result of an R-3 conversion,but even some R-1's that I have seen seem to have the higher stance in front.Was the front end stance modified in late or later production?

Maybe some cars have had the spacers replaced over the years and some haven't...and their spacers have compressed.  New springs can give the same visual impression...Avanti coil springs are noted for compressing with age.

I believe that the difference is in the springs and their condition.  Also, what weight is on the front end changes the height -  supercharger or A/C vs. neither. 

When I got my car it sat low and mean but it was constantly bottoming out on the bump-stops while driving on rougher roads (which is most roads up here). I installed a set of CC655's and this cured the soft front end but it also brought the front stance up about an inch. Now the car looked unbalanced so I installed a set of Wagonaire rear springs but this lifted the back end too high. Since I now had the original rear springs out I had a spring shop install a single booster leaf using the original spring curve. After install the car sits about 1" higher front and back, has the proper factory raked look and rides like a stiff sprung sports car should. With Mickey Thompson rubber installed on all 4 corners it handles pretty good!  I am tempted to install a set of CC661 springs up front to bring the front end down another 1/2" but I am in no hurry so they can sit on my shelf until I find another round of tuits....

So I guess my point is you can play with the suspension a lot and make whatever stance looks good to your eye by simply manipulating the springs in these cars.

IMG_20170701_132041_hdr_small.jpg