front grill and front license plate device

Stormy

I posted a bit ago about Avanti fluids, and got just a bit of response.  Today was warm enough to go out to the barn to do a couple of things with Avanti R4042. 

I noticed that this Avanti which has original paint and interior just has an opening below the front bumper with no grill.  Looking at the area around the opening, I see no sign of a grill ever being there.  Was the grill which I see on some, but not all , 1963s an option or was it introduced at a certain time ?

Secondly, I noticed that R4042 has no sign of a bracket or whatever on the front bumper for a license plate.  I suppose state laws differ on the need for a front license plate.  Did the front bumper come without the license plate adaptor or holes for same ?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Stormy
clarity

Drip rail - Chrome trim piece on the upper door opening (lower side of roof) to direct water to the sail (C) panel. The front license bracket fits between the rubber pad and the front bumper.

Edited by Avanti83

The drip rails are polished-clear anodized aluminum.

There a couple of different mounting methods on the license plate.  Some people use the rubber pad as the bolts to mount the plate, leaving the rubber pad to cover the top most area of the plate.  I have one of the brackets the replaces the rubber pad and can hold the plate either slightly above or below centered on the bumper.

Technically, in Nebraska the law states that a front and rear license plate be displayed. I have never displayed the front one on R1135 for the past 28 years, and not on my 85 for the last 3 years. Only once in that time about 15 years ago was I stopped for that (my kids were small and thought I was going to jail, but that's another story!). I never liked the looks of a front plate and felt that it restricted airflow. 

Thanks for the thoughts on the front plate.  I, too, like the look without the front plate.  I notice Studebaker International has a plate bracket for the front, but cannot tell from the catalog sketch just what it looks like.  Montana did issue two plates when I got my Vintage Plates. 

Years ago someone was selling a front bracket kit for a license plate that mounted under the hold down bolt for the center rubber and used a piano hinge that held the tag.  When stopped the tag would hang down and at speed the tag would hinge back parallel to the ground and offered no obstruction to air flow.  It was a simple design and worked extremely well on the '63 I owned at the time.

With my '70 I tried to replicate it but I discovered the design won't work if your car has the stone guard grill...the tag bangs against it.  So I didn't install the tag on the front...just leave it in the trunk under the spare tire cover.

On 4/23/2018 at 9:58 AM, Stormy said:

Thanks for the thoughts on the front plate.  I, too, like the look without the front plate.  I notice Studebaker International has a plate bracket for the front, but cannot tell from the catalog sketch just what it looks like.  Montana did issue two plates when I got my Vintage Plates. 

I read your post regarding the Two Vintage plates to say that two plates are not the norm in Montana. I live in Kentucky, and when you register an antique car here you are given two plates as well. The plate is permanent, as long as you own the car. Kentucky is a single plate state and the reason they give you two plates, is that is because it is  permanent  if it is damaged, faded etc., you have a replacement. They do not issue two with the requirement that one be front mounted. Can't speak for Montana, but you might want to look into the requirements for displaying antique tags.

JB

JLBKY, that is a good thought.  Since this nearly all original car does not seem to ever have had a front plate, I am inclined to go without.  Much "prettier" that way, I think. Thanks to all who offered help and perspective.  Daryl

I use a couple of hooked magnets from Princess Auto (Harbor Freight) for the license plate. In Alberta we don't require a front plate but I wanted to see if my solution would work. I went to a car show one day and unknowingly left the plate on the unclosed hooks. After I arrived home I realized the plate was still there.  Luckily the hooks were mounted open to the front so the plate would have been flapping under the bumper the whole trip.

To protect the grill I used expanded metal cut to size. I know the grill protection is probably not needed but I would rather have it and not need it than NOT have it and NEED it... The roads up here are not friendly. I have not had overheating problems with it. 

My solution to a couple of issues. I am sure there are many more (solutions and issues).

IMG_20161230_194516.jpg

IMG-20150317-00864.jpg