"Avanti Stripe"!

mfg

4 hours ago, studegary said:

I am thinking that you may mean when the paint is rubbed off of the body line at the widest part (where most Avanti IIs had a rub strip).

A very good answer, ...only someone who has actually owned an Avanti would come up with that one!,........however,...... not the correct answer here.:(

15 minutes ago, Peddler said:

The offset raised portion of the hood?

Nope, that isn't it......HINT!......studegary is on the right track when he considers day-to day 'wear' on a regularly driven Avanti....Now, what would eventually wear through the exterior paint leaving a 'stripe' effect?

I would guess the "stripe" of dirt or even paint damage from the lower rear corner of each wheel opening "reentry curve".  Drive an Avanti through the rain or a muddy road and you get a stripe that sweeps up and towards the rear of the car.  It could look worse with certain colors.  

11 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

I would guess the "stripe" of dirt or even paint damage from the lower rear corner of each wheel opening "reentry curve".  Drive an Avanti through the rain or a muddy road and you get a stripe that sweeps up and towards the rear of the car.  It could look worse with certain colors.  

Ain't it the truth!.....Good answer!....but that's not it!

12 hours ago, grobb284 said:

Could it be the stripe at the gas filler, and the damaged laquer paint?

BINGO!!!!!!!!.....Back in the day a careless 'full service' gas attendant would chip the paint near the earmuff gas filler....that would allow gasoline to permeate the factory lacquer paint, which would soften and ultimately 'lift'...leaving a very bad looking 'stripe' working its way down the rear fender! :(

I can't remember the last time I let a gas station attendant fuel any of my Avantis! ;)

1 hour ago, mfg said:

BINGO!!!!!!!!.....Back in the day a careless 'full service' gas attendant would chip the paint near the earmuff gas filler....that would allow gasoline to permeate the factory lacquer paint, which would soften and ultimately 'lift'...leaving a very bad looking 'stripe' working its way down the rear fender! :(

I can't remember the last time I let a gas station attendant fuel any of my Avantis! ;)

Even though NJ has lower gasoline prices than NY, I never purchase gasoline in NJ.  NJ is one of the two states that requires that fuel be dispensed by an attendant.  I only drive in NJ when I am going somewhere in NJ.  For example, when I drove to the SDC International Convention in Dover, Delaware, I went around NJ by going to PA.  I had a friend stop for fuel in NJ with his Packard Hawk.  The attendant tossed his gas cap onto the phony spare part of the trunk.  

If you want to reduce the chances of the "Avanti Stripe" if not eliminate it, use a cover like this that fits over the gas filler neck.  It can be cut from rubber sheet or do as I did and buy it from a Corvette suppler...this fits a 1978 Corvette and was quite inexpensive.

Avanti_gas_cap_cover.jpg

Avanti_gas_cap.jpg

My 76 had a piece of black vinyl attached to the body just under the gas fill neck similar to the above picture that folds up over the gas cap the acts as a protector from the nozzle but if careless filling will allow gas to run down it and onto the fender.  I've kept the piece vinyl on the gas fill even after repainting the entire car in 2015.  It does help protect the fender paint.