So how much of a blasphemy would this be?

Mistro

So the search for my Avanti continues but I'm starting to realize that my best option is a late original Avanti II (80 to 83) based on recommendations by members of my local Avanti chapter and some of you. I really wanted a 63 but because of my budget, the fact that I don't want a project, I want the creature comforts (AC, PW, PS, PB, cruise, etc), I need a car that is somewhat reliable and gets good gas mileage (wife will occasionally drive and there will be several 2000+ mile trips taken in this car), I need the Recaro seats that were optional/standard in these years because of my height, and I want an original Lowey designed car, it just makes the decision more focused on these years.

A local club member has an 83 that looks good and once he gets it out of winter storage, I expect it will become the top contender for my $$. He represents that it will need a paint job soon, which is fine because I'd want to strip those side fender protectors off. But the two things that "bother me" about cars later than a 63/64 is the lack of rake and the square versus round headlights.

I understand that some of the rake can be put back in with working with the springs and having different size tires. Correct? What are the pitfalls and rough cost?

But has anyone ever done anything to convert a 64 or an Avante II to round headlights and how would that be done, or is it just blasphemous?

Thanks!

You can pull the spring spacer out to help some and use a softer spring, or just cut a portion of the coil off.  Personally, I'd pull the spacer and see what it looks like. I have big and little's on my 83 but if I was going to drive a couple of thousand miles, I'd have the same size on all four wheels so I had a spare. But that's just me but my 74 has all the same size.

A little searching will find you a 63 front panel. Should be pretty easy to graft it back on a later body. Main problem is the cost of the headlight assemblies including the glass. Personally I like the side lights and bumper appendages much less than the square headlights. Somehow mine have disappeared on both my 74 and 83.

All it will take is money so forge ahead fearlessly.

Edited by Avanti83

Cbitz23, I’m not removing bumpers except for the cow catcher things that are already off the car according to the current owner. 

The strips along the sides might come off but no bumpers. 

Avanyi83, good point about the spare. Might have to rethink those different size tires. Thanks 

After driving a '63 for many years, I was looking for the "best of both worlds".  I prefer the look of the '64 but enjoy the creature comforts of my '78.  So, the '78 no longer has the cow catcher and frame extensions, rear bumper  "boxing gloves", rubber side moldings, Lark "II" insignias, gas door "tool box" lock, or the "Star Wars" windshield squirter.  These are all things that were added on and IMHO detract from the appearance of the car. 

DSCF4812E3.jpg

As Jim said above, I like the clean looks of the 63/64 body and bumpers. Nowhere did I mention removing the bumpers just the POC extensions and rubber add-ons. I also don't like the side lights and trunk rack.

My 83

P1010952.JPG

IMGP0784-1.JPG

Edited by Avanti83

Yes, the much desired 'Avanti rake'  can be somewhat achieved by removing spring spacers and going to a 'softer' spring, however, if the original size (P20575R-15) tires are used up front there will inevitably be 'tire rub' on the inside edge of the front fenders on turning.....Fiberglass fenders do not like 'tire rub'!! :o

When I got my '66, it had no rake at all.  A quick look revealed the rear leaf springs had sagged quite a bit.  A new set of springs from Eaton raised it back up.  When I ordered them, the guy at Eaton asked if I wanted 'heavy duty' springs, at no extra charge.  Basically, they just added one more leaf.  It actually raised the rake up to what I felt was too high; I then put on a set of 1 1/2" lowering blocks which brought the back end down.  To do it again, I'd probably not get the 'heavy duty' springs.