Pics of my '66 RQA0057

DTM1

Not many of us '66's; mine is RQA 0108.  Your car looks very nice in the pictures.  There is always something to learn about these cars.

Yours should have the 327/300 Corvette motor.  Be sure to put a bottle of the ZDDP in your oil when you change oil, or, use Valvoline VR1 racing oil which has zinc in it.  Newer blends of oil do not have zinc and the flat tappet camshafts like zinc.

I had a GM 700R4 transmission put in mine which, with the torque converter lock-up and overdrive, lowered the engine RPM from approx. 3150 to 2200 at 70mph which allows you to think and talk to your passenger on the freeway.  Less stress on the engine and better gas mileage are bonuses.

If you don't have the Turner Brakes , at least on the front, I would.  Shimming up the pads on the original set up is a pain and the pads are much smaller, and hence have less stopping ability, than Turner's set up.

Perhaps I should not have volunteered the three items above until you indicated what you have done to the car, what you plan to do, etc.

Mel (North Carolina)

118.JPG

Thank you, you’re car is sweet. A friend of mine owned this car and has since passed away. It has a modified 350 not sure which one as i can’t find the numbers on it.and not much info was passed on to me.  The 327 came with it just haven’t got it yet. I want to do the turner upgrade as well as the trans it’s taching 3K on the freeway. 3.54 rear end. 

Dan. 

Thank You- still trying to figure out which chevy engine it has. Can't see the numbers on the back or the front. Exhaust manifold numbers match up to 327. I took it out yesterday and stomped on it - Revved to 7K chirped into 2nd and took off. WOW! The previous owner passed away so info was very limited.

2 hours ago, DTM1 said:

Thank You- still trying to figure out which chevy engine it has. Can't see the numbers on the back or the front. Exhaust manifold numbers match up to 327. I took it out yesterday and stomped on it - Revved to 7K chirped into 2nd and took off. WOW! The previous owner passed away so info was very limited.

This will give you some reading and info. http://www.nastyz28.com/chevy-engine-code-stampings.php

Exhaust manifolds are a pretty generic issue on SBC's of the era. Most likely you have the 2" Ram Horns to give steering clearance and they were standard issue on most SBC's regardless of cu. in. The other options were usually just a change in outlet location and 2" outlets.

There were a few years in the 60's when the corvettes ran 2 1/2 in outlets which is what I have on my 83 and 74. It's not easy to tell them apart unless they are side by side.

This is a shot of the 2 1/2 ram horns along with the 2 1/4 in Silvertone exhaust on my 83 for comparison. Somewhere I have a shot of both 2 and 2 1/2 inch manifolds which I'll post if I can find it but the main difference is the outlet size.

P1010307.JPG

Edited by Avanti83