Heater or climatizer rebuild

Dan Boone

Would anyone out there have any information on rebuilding a leaky heater for a '63 Avanti.  

IMG_0270.JPG

This may not be the answer that you want.  The simple thing to do is to just bypass the heater (block off the hose connection points).  A 1963 Avanti throws so much heat into the cabin that most will not need a heater unless you plan on driving it in below freezing conditions (no longer likely for most 1963 Avantis).  

Gorgeous looking '63 Avanti!!......If your heater core is leaking and in need of replacement, NOS & rebuilt ones are available from at least two of our Studebaker/Avanti vendors.

These cores are however quite pricey! (In my opinion)

You may want to consider adapting a heater core from a 'lesser' vehicle.

Years ago I installed a Plymouth Reliant (Remember those??) heater core in a 1964 Studebaker Avanti......... It worked well, and I believe that, even today, brand new Reliant cores can be purchased at various auto jobbers for under $50.:)

Thanks everyone.  We will be taking it out this weekend to check it out.  I did order some gaskets from Studebaker International to install.  It only started when it was gurgling and I was trying to get it to stop.  I turned the heater on, the gurgling stopped, and then it started leaking.  The new cores are pricey,  I agree.  This will be uncharted waters, but the kid that helps me is pretty innovative.  I'm pretty sure it's never been out.  I hate to detract too much from the original.  But being in California, we won't need it much.  I'll try to post some pictures.  DB

MFG, would you happen to know what year Plymouth Reliant core you put in your '64 Avanti? They do have them online, and they're aluminum and un $50, just like you said.  Cool

nick 1.jpg

nick5.jpg

nick7.jpg

nick 10.jpg

nick 12.jpg

nick 14.jpg

Edited by Dan Boone
Showing how we took heater core out

On 12/1/2018 at 10:54 AM, Dan Boone said:

MFG, would you happen to know what year Plymouth Reliant core you put in your '64 Avanti? They do have them online, and they're aluminum and un $50, just like you said.  Cool

I believe 1986 would be about right....Haven't seen many of those "K" cars lately!....The Dodge Aries would be the same.:)

PS....expect a bit of 'finagling' with the heater hoses at the core!

I posted a couple pictures taking the old heater out of the car.  The Plymouth core is on its way. We just need to modify the inlet/outlet ports to make it fit.  

Here's a couple picts. of the finished heater core before we re-installed it.  It's back in now, and I have warm air with no leaks!  Woo hoo!

finished 1.jpg

finished 2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, John, my friend actually got it ready for me.  I will find out from him where he got the core.  I know he pressure tested it.  I sort of left it to him.  Leave your number, and I can have Nick call you.  He does a lot of nice work on my car.  Dan

Edited by Dan Boone

I received a text message from the fella that did this conversion. The core he used is from an '86 Bronco. The Inlet/Outlet Tanks were swapped. He was quick to point out that the soldering of the Avanti  Inlet/Outlet tank onto the Bronco core is a delicate procedure best done with a small torch .................. and don't overheat it.

John